Follow our Easter Road to Pentecost here!
Who We Are
We are a vital faith community and Affirming congregation within The United Church of Canada. We believe “God’s love is for everyone.” We celebrate diversity, inclusivity and abundant life, informed by Jesus’s teaching and The Bible. We are committed to spiritual development, social justice and artistic expression. We welcome all and strive to build healthy, nurturing relationships with each other. We seek to build community locally and globally. We are located at The Spire in downtown Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
SSUC Website – Tell us what you think!
Everyone is invited to please take five minutes to complete a survey on the SSUC website (https://sydenhamstreet.ca) for the Communications Team (Eric Carstens, Ellie Deir, Sue Doerksen, Lynn Freeman). The survey will remain open for two weeks (until 5:00pm on Friday, April 30th). A summary of the survey results will be shared in a subsequent issue of the SSUC News. The survey form is posted at: https://forms.gle/q4fsMmnoUMBgxXy98
Worship Services Online
SSUC’s church services will remain online until further notice. As conditions of virus infection evolve, please see the News from SSUC email for the latest information. The online Virtual Coffee Time gatherings will begin at 10:00 hr, for half an hour of conversation and fellowship. The link for this Coffee Time was sent in the News from SSUC email. See below for further information and links to bulletins and recordings.
Easter Season Services – During the next six Sundays, we will revisit the images, poetry and original musical compositions created by SSUC clergy and lay members, as they walked “The Easter Road to Pentecost” together many years ago. The first two services will focus on the scripture passages and the group process, which inspired these original works. In the next three services, other community members will reflect on how these creative works may continue to inspire us. In the final service, we will consider what the message of the first Pentecost means for us today. Our Easter season worship leaders are:
- Sunday, April 25 – Barbara Carr, with other members of the “from Light into Light” group
- Sunday, May 2 – Don Mitchell, Engaging the Spirit
- Sunday, May 9 – Michael Fenn, Art and Soul
- Sunday, May 16 – Ian Malcolm, Social Justice and Outreach
- Sunday, May 23 – Marylil Megginson and Vicki Ruthven
Listen to reflective music by the “virtual” SSUC choir singing the anthem “No Rose Bloomed in Gethsemane“, prepared for Easter holy season https://youtu.be/NdpTgUCWV54.
Continuing the Conversation: Following each worship service, on Sunday afternoons, between 13:00 and 14:00 hr, we will offer a time on ZOOM for further reflection by anyone interested – a chance for new ideas and different points of view on the topic of the worship service. Continuing the Conversation events will be hosted by Lynn Freeman and Bruce Hutchinson. See the weekly News from SSUC email or send an email request to email@example.com for the Zoom coordinates.
Recorded weekly services become available by 10:30 hr every Sunday at: https://www.youtube.com/user/SydenhamStreet.
The weekly Bulletin is available here Read more.
Recordings of Previous Services are available here Read more.
Please contact us with comments or general questions about SSUC, the website, getting on the mailing list, etc via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Fenn, our very own Music Director and Organist would like to invite all members of SSUC, their friends, family, and other community members to join together to enjoy some classical tenor repertoire. This recital was programmed to showcase pieces focused on love and pain. Throughout the difficult year of the COVID-19 global pandemic, he believes that these emotions have been prevalent in the hearts and minds of many people. Even amidst the pain and loneliness of these times, we can find love and joy through new opportunities, different perspectives, new relationships; most importantly we can discover community through music. The recital was live streamed on YouTube on Saturday April 17th, 2021. The link for recital is here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltnGDTLATI
- Our Building, The Spire, Needs Your Help 2021 03 26
- Congratulations Bruce Hutchinson 2021 03 25
- Joint Truth and Reconciliation Action Group next meeting date 2021 05 10
- Our website is constantly being updated. Explore the various menus often!
Updated 2021 04 19